Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

2 brains (or 3, or 4) are better than 1 #flipclass #flashblog

Last week my principal sent out an email asking us to prioritize what we want in regards to specials for next year.  It seems like a relatively simple email, but looking at it made me realize that I don't know how to make my class work like I want it to work...there's not enough time.  Not enough time for me to be with my students, and not enough time for me to properly plan what I want to plan.  I quickly ignored my email (okay, I didn't really ignore it, but I definitely closed it down & moved on to other things).

The next morning one of our 4th grade teachers came in & said, "Did you get the email about specials? What are you going to say?"  Hmmm, I thought, I am not alone.  Then our interventionist came in & joined the conversation, and before you know it, the 3 of us were brainstorming possibilities, and instead of being all grumpy we began to get kind of excited about the possibility of doing something different.

Our big problem is that my district is moving to mastery based learning (which I 100% agree with), but we're not to the point where we don't move the kids on if they haven't mastered their learning.  It's a very awkward place to be in.  I know exactly where my kids are at, what they don't understand, and what they totally get, but I don't know when to fill in the holes they have, reteach what they're confused on when our day is so packed.

We talked about a number of things, and decided we should probably get more people involved in the coversation.  So now we are planning big meeting with all the 3rd, 4th & 5th grade teachers...and the interventionists...and the resource room teacher.  My hope is that all those brilliant minds will come together and come up with something awesome.

As I write this I am realizing how important it is going to be that we start off with a positive attitude.  It's so easy to spend an hour complaining, which gets us nowhere.  As of now, our meeting is scheduled for next week...we'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Delia, thanks for sharing this. I love getting a view of elementary level education through the eyes of #flipclass colleagues. Much is different from what I do in undergrad computer science classes but I also get some good ideas from your view.

    The need to work together is so important and so many times I literally go into my bunker. I know I have much to share and sharing always leads to positive collaboration so I thank you for reminding me of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very sour attitude with how my high school is moving to a modified block schedule. I couldn't imagine how I would teach math flipped in a 90 minute block every other day. But, after talking to others, and my admin, and dreaming about the possibilities, it is possible to do it and do it well. I love that fact that you aren't approaching with a negative attitude. That does help a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That strikes me as the measure of a staff - that time is spent brainstorming, finding solutions, and helping one another rather than complaining about all that is wrong (and there is always SO MUCH WRONG).

    Excited to see what you figure out. We're heading towards mastery learning in many ways at my site, so I'm hoping I can learn from you.

    ReplyDelete