Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Making videos as a team...my first experience

If you remember from some of my past ramblings, I've been trying to figure out a way to get another teacher to flip with me this year.  I am excited to announce that one of the other 5th grade teachers in the district (different building) is also interested.  We got together earlier this week & filmed the entire first unit of videos.  I still have to edit & post them on youtube, but they are recorded, which is a start.  I have one edited & posted, which I've embedded here :)  Keep in mind, I am a rookie at Camtasia, I'm sure there is more I can edit, but I don't totally know how to do it yet...baby steps :)


After several discussions, this is how we see our day/year starting out.

We'll begin with a video on how to watch a video.  We'll be utilizing a modified WSQ that I learned about from Crystal Kirch.  Then we'll continue into Unit 1.  We plan on watching & completing the WSQ in class for the first unit.  Heavy guiding at first, in hopes of them doing it right the rest of the year.  Mastery will not start in unit one...

Unit 2 we'll start weaning the kids off of us watching the videos in class & them watching at home.  I'm not sure that mastery will start in unit two either...we'll see how things play out.  When I think of mastery teaching in my class, the kids are going to be taking quizzes on each of the learning goals (our "I can" statements).  They must pass the quizzes to move on.  This will allow (to some extent) the ability for the students to pace themselves.

Hopefully, by the time we get to Unit 3, we'll have all the quizzes set up & ready to go :)  That being said, I'm realizing exactly how much we have to do for each unit.  On our to do list:

  1. Make slideshow for each learning goal.
  2. Make video for each learning goal.
  3. Edit video for each learning goal.
  4. Write multiple questions for each learning goal that will be input into Moodle.
  5. Repeat for next unit!

A few things to note (and some concerns too):
  • Positive: I really like us recording the videos together (it's way more fun)!
    • Concern:  How in the world are we going to make this work during the school year when we aren't in the same building.
  • Positive: I particularly like that one of us can ask the questions we know the student will ask, and the other can answer.
    • Concern:  How in the world are we going to make this work during the school year when we aren't in the same building.
  • Positive:  Mastery - I'm very excited by the whole concept, it's exciting where this can take the kids.
    • Concern:  How in the world are we going to make this work during the school year when we aren't in the same building.
We are hoping that our principals will give us some time throughout the year to work on this long list of items...keep your fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. I like the tone and content, including the WALL-E cut in. I had a hard time seeing the text. I think you need to resize the slides to fit the window. I use Camtasia Mac and you probably use Windows, so I can't tell you want to do specifically to change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Camtasia Mac too...how do you do that? On the video I just edited I adjusted the canvas first...I'm hoping that helps. What other recommendations do you have? Like I said, I'm just learning how to use Camtasia.

      Delete