Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

What is a flipped classroom?

One of my passions in education is using technology to make curriculum come alive for students.  This summer my principal (knowing my interest in technology) mentioned the idea of a flipped classroom.  I hadn't heard of it, but decided to check out the video he e-mailed me on 2 teachers in Colorado who changed the way they taught.  Instead of giving direct instruction during school, and assigning practice to be done at home, they flipped it.  Now they video their direct instruction & the students watch that at home for homework.  When they come to class, they get an opportunity to practice.  Notice that the practicing happens at school, when a teacher is now readily available to help them if they get stuck.

I was hooked after watching the first video & spent the next several weeks researching flipped classrooms, joining PLN's about flipped classrooms, and trying to figure out how/if I could make it work in my 5th grade class.  This blog is going to share my journey of flipping my 5th grade math class.

3 comments:

  1. There are many info. and resources about flipped classrooms in this post and its comments :
    http://www.classroom-aid.com/blog/bid/65071/Flip-Your-Minds-before-Flipping-Your-Classrooms#Comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie,

    Thank you, I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I have heard about this and I want to find more resources related on this issue. Thank you for posting. Looking forward to read more of your post and updates in the future. medicine shoppe canada hours

    ReplyDelete